Responsible for reaching out to customers to collect payment for overdue bills, loans, or other payments. Acts as the liaison between creditors and customers and manages overdue accounts.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Collect payments on past due bills.
- Create a list of people who have not made payments.
- Organize list according to severity of delinquency.
- Locate customers using credit bureau information, background checks, loan documents, and other paperwork or databases.
- Call customers using telephone.
- Utilize computer systems to handle skip tracing.
- Inform clients of overdue accounts and amount currently owed.
- Attempt to collect payment.
- Review terms of sale or loan documents.
- •Ensure all customer information is correct, including phone numbers and addresses.
- Listen to customer's story and determine if debt can be collected.
- Set up repayment plans and new terms of sale.
- Offer advice or refer customers to debt counselors.
- Record new commitment to repay debt.
- Send statements of delinquencies to credit bureau.
- Initiate repossession proceedings or hand over account to law practice that specializes in debt collection.
- Purge records if debt has been satisfied.
- Report satisfied debts to credit bureaus.
- Follow federal and state laws dealing with debt collection.
- Print reports for management.
- Purge records from deceased people.
- Bachelor of accounting, finance or any related discipline.
- 3-5 years of experience.